MULTICULTURAL RESIDENT ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Multicultural Resident Assistant
Time Frame: August 11, 2019-May 1, 2020
Commitment: 20 hours each week
Reports to: Area Coordinator
Scholarship: 50% of Room and Board
The Multicultural RA serves within the residence hall as a peer leader, intentional friend, team member, affinity group administrator , and event planner for 12-25 multicultural students, as well as a voice for multicultural concerns/opportunities throughout the area.
Be a traditional Corban student who has completed at least 2 semesters at Corban and…
- Exhibits peer leadership abilities.
- Practices effective organizational skills.
- Displays collaborative leadership strengths.
- Is able to work unpredictable/irregular hours.
- Is in good standing with campus offices.
- Demonstrates multicultural awareness, knowledge, and skill.
- Demonstrates an authentic relationship with Jesus.
Be registered as an undergraduate student at Corban who…
- Possesses a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher.
- Registers for at least 12 undergraduate credits at Corban per semester.
- Registers for no more than 4 credits at any other institution or at the graduate level per semester.
- Registers for no more than 18 credits per semester.
Policies and procedures
- Be familiar and compliant with Corban’s Student Walkthrough as well as basic residence hall policies and procedures.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the residence halls each semester.
- Facilitate an affinity group within your area.
- Orient new multicultural students to the residence halls and Corban’s campus.
- Develop leadership opportunities for returning residence hall students.
- Promote academic success through your own example and a consistency in enforcing quiet and courtesy hours.
- Foster a comfortable and receptive environment by interacting with your assigned residents on a regular basis.
- Intentionally set goals that will help you and your residents grow toward relational, emotional, academic, and spiritual maturity.
- Encourage and support your residents through the life issues they encounter.
- Maintain an on-campus presence most weeknights and weekends.
- Take advantage of community opportunities by regularly attending chapel, sport events, drama and music productions, and eating regularly at Corban Dining.
- Positively communicate residence hall policies and expectations to residents.
- Exert consistent and proactive disciplinary action when needed.
- Respond to potentially volatile moments with poise, grace, focus, etc.
- Assist the Area Coordinator (AC) in the mentoring of individual students.
- Provide a peace-making presence for roommate conflicts.
- Be First Aid/CPR/AED certified and physically prepared to administer basic first aid (training offered on campus).
- Provide leadership regarding fire code standards, building evacuation protocols, etc.
- Promptly advise the AC of mental health, behavioral, social, physical and/or spiritual concerns observed within your resident population.
- Attend all training sessions as outlined in the Hiring Process/Training Timeline.
- Meet weekly with RA team.
- Meet bi-monthly with AC.
- Participate in university committees as requested.
- Attend scheduled Student Leader class.
- Design and promote an affinity group for residents.
- Create events that stimulate personal growth of students.
- Help create and attend monthly residence hall meetings.
- Support and work effectively with other campus offices.
- Promptly administer various surveys, forms, and reports.
- Represent the University with maturity and professionalism.
- Support, encourage and pray for fellow RAs, ACs and University personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MRAs cannot be Education majors with Senior Block or the Senior Student Teaching requirements.
- MRAs cannot work or volunteer (apart from Reach) more than 5 total hours a week.
- MRAs cannot perform academic internships/practicums and work another job.
- MRAs cannot perform academic internships/practicums and be an athlete.
- MRAs cannot work another job and be an athlete.